An exceptionally hand carved mahogany and gilt sofa, the arched top rail above a tight back and downswept arms, the bench seat with two bolster cushions and two throw pillows, with palm leaf carved outswept arms and rails above scrolled legs.
Overlooking Green Park, Spencer House was one of the grandest London mansions of the 18th century, built for the 1st Earl Spencer between 1756 and 1759. At the heart of this lavish property was the Palm Room, a sumptuously decorated reception room on the ground floor. This sofa was part of a large suite of furniture made for this room by Scottish Born John Gordon of Soho, London after designs by the architect of Spencer House, John Vardy. An early example of the emerging neo-classical style, the sofa is decorated with motifs taken from ancient Roman sources, although the overall shape is still in an earlier rococo style. Some of the furniture of this suite remains at Spencer House and some in Althorp. The original sofa is now displayed in the National Museum of Scotland.